200 gms. khoya
50 gms milk powder
1/2 tsp.nutmeg-cardomom-cinnamon powder
250 gms. plain flour
1 tbsp. cornflour
30 gms. ghee
250 gms. sugar
1 cup water
1 big pinch saffron
Ghee for deep frying
- Mix ingredients for filling. The mixture should be soft and crumbly.
- Mix ingredients for cover. Using water knead to a pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth. Keep aside
- Boil sugar and water adding a tbsp. of milk to clear the syrup.
- Boil till the syrup is slightly sticky between the fingers.
- Strain. Crush and add the saffron. Keep aside.
- Make 15 to 16 flattish balls of the mixture.
- Divide dough also into 15 to 16 parts.
- Roll one part into a puri, place one mixture ball in the centre.
- Pull up all the sides to seal the mixture and press in centre.
- Make 5 to 6 such kachoris, heat ghee and fry on low flame till light brown, turning once.
- Repeat for remaining kachoris.
- When slightly cool, make a hole in the centre of each (approx. 2cm. diameter).
- Pour about half tbsp. of syrup and roll kachori around to let the syrup spread.
- Allow to stand for half hour before serving. Note: The unsweetened kachoris may be stored without refrigeration for one week and sweetened as required .
Serves:15 helpings .
Time required:2 hr.
Shelf life: 10 days .