250 gms. raw firm mango
250 gms. pears.
500 gms. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. marshmelon (kharbooja) seeds.
1 tbsp. raisins.
2 cloves powdered
8 each almonds and cashews chopped finely.
- Peel and mash and pear.
- Put 1 tbsp. sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Heat on a low flame, stirring and cooking till it turns brown.
- Add 500 ml. water and boil.
- When the sugar has fully dissolved in the water add remaining sugar.
- When it begins to boil again add the mashed fruit, cashew, raisins, seeds, chilli and salt.
- Boil till a thick jam consistency is obtained. Stir occasionally.
- Add the clove powder and garam masala.
- Cool a bit and transfer to clean airtight jar.
Making time: 1 hour
Shelf life: 1 month
Makes 1.5 kgs. chutney.