Chicken pieces marinated in a spice and curd mixture and cooked with basmati rice on a slow fire.
300 gms. Rice (Basmati)
600 gms. Chicken pieces
2 tbsp. Whole garam masala
1 cup Sliced onions
2 tbsps. Chopped garlic
2 tbsps. Chopped ginger
3 tsps. Red chili powder
1 tbsp. Coriander powder
2 tsps. Turmeric powder
2 nos. Bay leaf
¾ cup Chopped tomato
1 tbsp. Chopped green coriander
1 cup Curd (yogurt)
½ gm. Saffron
3 tsp. Garam masala powder
½ cup Milk
50 gms. Butter
¾ cup Golden fried sliced onions
1 tbsp. Ginger julienne’s
3 tbsps. Oil
2 tbsp. Mint leaves
Salt To taste
- Pick, wash and soak rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- Boil water, add ½ of the Whole Garam Masala , bayleaf and salt and boil rice till ¾th done. Drain rice and keep aside.
- Mix salt, ½ of the red chili powder, ½ of the chopped ginger, ½ of the chopped garlic, 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder, ½ of the turmeric powder and Curd/Yogurt.
- Mix well and put chicken pieces in this for an hour.
- Heat oil in a Patila or a thick bottomed pan. Add remaining Whole Garam masala .Let it crackle. Add Sliced onions and sauté’ until light golden brown.
- Then add remaining chopped ginger, chopped garlic, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 1 tsp. Garam Masala powder and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for about 5 minutes. Add marinated chicken and cook till chicken is tender.
- Dissolve saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Arrange alternate layers of chicken and rice. Sprinkle saffron dissolved in milk, remaining Garam Masala powder, ginger julienne’s, mint leaves, golden fried sliced onions and butter in between the layers and on top.
- Make sure that you end with the rice layer topped with saffron and spices.
- Cover and seal with aluminum foil or Roti dough. Cook in a preheated oven, for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively cook on an indirect slow flame for 10 to 12 minutes.