500 gm Moong dal (green)
500 gm sugar
500 gm ghee
saffron soaked in a little milk
water about 250 ml.
- Soak the dal for 5-6 hours.
- Wash and remove the skins well.
- Grind dal fine either in a stone grinder or electric grinder or mixie.
- Use as little water as possible.
- Put sugar and water in a pan and put to boil.
- Once sugar dissolve add a few tblsp. of milk.
- As the syrup boils the scum will rise.
- Remove with a strain.
- Further boil till the syrup become sticky between the fingers. (One thread should fall when poured from a tilted spoon) keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy kadai (vessel) and add dal.
- Keep stirring rigorously to avoid burning.
- Once the dal stops sticking to the vessel, stir gradually till golden brown, and ghee begins to separate.
- Pour the hot syrup, add elaichi and dissolved saffron.
- Stir very carefully, not allowing hand to be scalded. Cook slowly till all water is absorbed.
- Decorate with chopped dry fruit.
- Serve hot especially on a cold day.