2 cups gram flour (besan)
1/2 tsp. ajwain (Celery) seeds
1 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
1 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
2-3 pinches asafoetida
water to make dough
oil to deep fry
- Mix the chili, oil, salt and seeds into the flour.
- Add enough water to make a dough which is quite gooey.
- It should not be pliable but sticky.
- Grease the inside of a Sev-press, fill with the dough.
- Press into hot oil, and fry lightly on both sides.
- Drain well and cool before storing.
- You may adjust the chilies as per taste.
- You may omit chillies to make bland sev.
- You may add finely crushed dried herbs (eg. mint) for add flavour.
Making time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 250 grams approx.
Note: A sevpress is similar to a vermicelli press, but it should be small enough to handle over hot oil.